Wednesday, January 16, 2013

BHAG? Yes.

2013.  It's time to rearrange a few things. Time to pick ourselves up from the side of the road, shake the dust off and plot a new course - with courage, with tenacity, with vision. You know, like my friend Sandy says...

Big, Hairy, and Audacious


I’m sure that some of you have heard of a BHAG (pronounced bee-hag) – Big Hairy Audacious Goal. For those of you not familiar with the concept, it stems from a 1994 book by James Collins and Jerry Porras entitled Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies. A big hairy audacious goal is visionary, strategic, and emotionally compelling. To many, it may seem crazy or impossible.

My new year’s wish for us as individuals, for FCRW, our party, and our nation is that we set some big hairy audacious goals. Building on that, I think we also need to dream big hairy audacious dreams and pray big hairy audacious prayers.

I’ve had some out of the ordinary personal struggles over the last few months. Things that never happen, all happened within a few weeks. Audits, traffic tickets, unexpected serious medical issues for multiple family members. One issue that should never have been, just wouldn’t go away. I could not foresee any possible outcome that would not be just horrible. So I did what I should probably do more often, but that I’m not very good at – I prayed a big, hairy audacious prayer. You know, the one that says, “Help! Please just do the impossible and lift this burdensome issue completely and quickly from my shoulders.” Within days, I unexpectedly received a letter informing me that this issue that I had not been able to resolve for several months was over, done, resolved, in my favor.

That’s not to say that we’ll meet all our goals, achieve all our dreams, or that God in His wisdom will answer all our prayers the way we think He should. But certainly, we’ll never achieve much of anything if we don’t start with some big, hairy, audacious goals, dreams, and prayers.

Besides, in the words of Walt Disney “It’s kind of fun to do the impossible!”

~Curtsy to Sandy & FCRW "Trunkline" newsletter, Jan. 2013

~~

Ready?
Let's get started...

~~~

3 comments:

Slamdunk said...

Happy 2013 Susannah. I can see why last year was quite the challenge (audits, blah). I hope things pan about better this year.

Susannah said...

SlamD! Great to see you! Happy 2013 to you also
Oh,but I must clarify: my friend Sandy wrote what's in GREEN in this post. She gets the credit for inspiring BHAG, but also for the audits, etc. ugh!

Take care!

DUTA said...

Sory you had a bad period of time. It happens to all of us that it pours with troubles , not just rains with them. You did the right thing , praying. Prayers help, and there are miraclesout there.

Have a wonderful 2013 year!